Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Surf Camp

Im approaching day three at surf camp and currently debating an offer to stay for another two months, with no pay but free room and board. I'm nervous about the idea because it doesn't really go according to my plan but then again the whole plan was, to have NO PLAN. The whole idea being to wing it, see where my travels take me and who I meet and what kind of adventures might present themselves. I think doing this will really push my comfort zone and make any later decisions a lot easier. Plus I really love fucking surfing now! I didn't think that would be the case. I mean I figured I wanted to surf while I was here and it'd be fun to learn but I never thought I'd have the opportunity to surf as a job. Granted I won't exactly be a coach or instructor, at least not right away, but what a great opportunity to learn and meet new people. And while I won't technically be making money, with the money I save by not living in the city or paying for three meals a day I'll definitely be coming out on top. The way I figure if I drink... if I drink I can be looking at spending only about $1000 over the next two months. That's about two weeks in Sydney, if I'm lucky. And when I'm done here it'll be prime time to get a seasonal job on the beach somewhere. It's just a matter of keeping in touch with different people and opportunities and trying to get something set up before I leave.

Bascially I'd be looking at working a few hours a day, while waking up every day by like 7 am at the latest and surfing and working on my Yoga Practice. So a grownup schedule with child like responsibilities. The idea is definitely intriguing and the more I think about it the more I think it'd be a mistake to not do it. I mean they'll always be seasonal work and jobs to get, but it's not everyday you get a chance to learn to surf for free, and a place to stay and three meals a day, for free. It just seems weird putting off my potential job and responsibilities to sit on a beach, but isn't the point of going to Australia in the first place? Getting lost to find myself? What better place to get lost then on the beach surfing and doing yoga, and meeting new people every week as they come through for surf camp. I only wish it wasn't the middle of damn winter here. I'd feel like a pussy to say it was cold here, but it's not hot that much is for sure. Currently I'm drinking a hot cup of coffee with two coats on and long pants. But l've also been in the water twice a day freezing my nuts off, so the jury is out on whether I'm a pussy or not. For now I'll go with no since everyone else here is doing the same thing. But in two months I can be looking at being right in the full swing of Summer, and that might be enough to tough out a couple more weeks of cold. 

The more I think about it the more I realize I'd be making a mistake if I didn't do it. I can get a job bartending anywhere I go, and worst case if I hate it I say "Adios" and keep on my way. I just need to make sure I get in touch with any connections I've made so far. The reception out here sucks so that's appealing but scary at the same time. I won't be able to talk to anyone for a while most likely but shit I'm already gone for a year, and this could be a good opportunity for some real self reflection and a disconnect from technology. So if I disappear and cant post/talk to anyone as much as I might have been you know why. But I'll try to keep up as much as I can and keep my blog going to log all the craziness that happens at Surf Camp Australia!















1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very useful, I am truly to this blog which is specially design about the surf camp, I really appreciate your blog.

    surf travel

    ReplyDelete